Lesson 1 – Gathering your materials
by ArticlesofaDomesticGoddess | January 4, 2015 2:09 am
This lesson will help you to sort through the sea of materials you will find at the store and help you to obtain the items you will need in order to learn to crochet.
For the first 6 lessons, you will only need to acquire an H or an I hook, and one skein of yarn. By the last lesson, it would be prudent of you to have acquired some of the other items listed below so that we can complete a pattern together.
The yarn will need to be a medium weight, or worsted weight yarn. Look for the 4 on the label. Skip to the YARN section below to decode the rest of those symbols.
All About Crochet Hooks
Crochet Hook Size 101
How to read yarn labels
Easily acquired at a craft supply store or craft section at your local department store. Used for measuring gauge, which you will learn more about later on. Gauge is something that is only important on anything that will fit someone. Like clothing, hats, etc. Most people don’t start out with things like this for good reason. Dishcloths, purses, granny squares, blankets, your own crochet hook case, etc… these are all things that don’t need gauge to work. Your tension will probably be off for a little while anyway until you get the hang of how the hook feels in your hand.
In the beginning, I bought a 120 inch measuring tape and it turned out to be more worry than it was worth! I finally purchased some 60 inch ones and they are MUCH easier to deal with. http://www.michaels.com/loops-and-threads-tape-measure-60in/10340669.html
Um… they’re for cutting…. 🙂
Not to be confused with yo mama’s teensy tiny sewing needle. You’re going to need a needle to weave in your yarn ends, so yarn’s got to fit into the eye. These are what I bought and I still use these today –> My favorite is one of those middle ones. Not too big, not too small. These will also do nicely.
Stitch markers are optional, but for a new crocheter I HIGHLY recommend their use. Clay stitch markers in my opinion weigh down my work and they make it hard for me to work, but I know some use them with no problems. You can purchase these for $1.99 from Knit Picks, but I also own a set and I’ve never used them. I use safety pins! I find that I can stick them into a pin cushion quickly when moving them around, they don’t weigh my work down, they are cheap, and they are efficient to have around because before I crocheted, I NEVER had safety pins on hand. If you want a cheap solution, safety pins get my vote. I still use them even today!
Yarn obsession does a good basic walk-through on the materials needed to begin crocheting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL7PQJlnvEA
At this point, you have all the materials you should need to begin crocheting!!
If you have any questions, please comment below and I’ll be sure to get back with you as soon as possible!
Finished? Move on to Lesson 2 – The Super Basics
- [Image]: http://articlesofadomesticgoddess.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/20141124_081054.jpg
- [Image]: http://articlesofadomesticgoddess.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/20150105_141847k.jpg
- All About Crochet Hooks: http://articlesofadomesticgoddess.com/all-about-crochet-hooks/
- Crochet Hook Size 101: http://articlesofadomesticgoddess.com/crochet-hook-size-101/
- Yarn 101: http://articlesofadomesticgoddess.com/yarn-101/
- How to read yarn labels: http://articlesofadomesticgoddess.com/how-to-read-yarn-labels/
- http://www.michaels.com/loops-and-threads-tape-measure-60in/10340669.html: http://www.michaels.com/loops-and-threads-tape-measure-60in/10340669.html
- My favorite is one of those middle ones.: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coats-Tapestry-Needles-Size-18-22-6pc/19757975
- These will also do nicely.: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tapestry-Needles-Size-16-5pk/19757945
- You can purchase these for $1.99 from Knit Picks, but I also own a set and I’ve never used them. : http://www.knitpicks.com/cfAccessories/Accessory_Display.cfm?ID=80592&media=PPCgpGen&gclid=Cj0KEQiAiamlBRCgj83PiYm6--gBEiQArnojD3Ab1VTJrPtYNy3dMwdEJ2-j7l9xr0gz9LY8DfMAR3YaAiA_8P8HAQ&utm_source=media&utm_medium=marketing&utm_campaign=PPCgpGen
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL7PQJlnvEA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL7PQJlnvEA
- Finished? Move on to Lesson 2 – The Super Basics: http://articlesofadomesticgoddess.com/lesson-2-the-super-basics/
Source URL: http://articlesofadomesticgoddess.com/lesson-1-gathering-your-materials/
Copyright ©2018 Articles of a Domestic Goddess unless otherwise noted.