Lesson 5 – The Magic Circle, Working in the Round, and Invisible Seam
by ArticlesofaDomesticGoddess | January 18, 2015 5:43 am
A pattern will either call for you to use either of these methods to start your rounds:
(They are usually interchangeable but they DO make a different start.)
1. The chain 2 starting method- Chain 2 and make X amount of stitches into the second chain from the hook, making the first chain the beginning round.
2. The giant hole technique- Make X amount of chains, link them by joining to the first chain and then making X amount of stitches into the linked chain circle you created, making the stitches inside the linked chains your beginning round.
3. The Magic Circle- Start using a magic circle and making X amount of stitches into the magic circle to start your first round.
The reason that even when a pattern calls for either of these techniques, that I opt to use the magic circle is, it really is MAGIC!! When you do the chain 2 technique, or the giant hole technique they all leave one thing at the top of the hat or the center of the round… a GIANT HOLE! When using the magic circle technique, you create a circle to make your stitches around, then you pull it tight so that the hole closes completely.
So, if the pattern says either of these:
-Ch 2, sc X in the second ch from the hook
-Ch X, join to make a loop, sc X times in loop
Those are equal and can USUALLY be substituted for this:
-X sc in a mc, join to top of first sc
(You will also see hdc or dc or tc instead of just sc, but for the sake of learning I used sc.)
Magic Circle Video and Photo Tutorial
To Join or Not to Join:
Crocheting in the Round by MooglyBlog
Invisible seams and joins:
Invisible Seams by MooglyBlog
Invisible Seams/Joins by Looping with Love
Finished? Move on to Lesson 6 – Gauge
Need to take a step back? Move to 
Lesson 4 – The Decrease Stitches
- Magic Circle Video and Photo Tutorial: http://articlesofadomesticgoddess.com/magic-circle-tutorial/
- Crocheting in the Round by MooglyBlog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LADVC0Hc_Y
- Invisible Seams by MooglyBlog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdWgcR6nlWQ
- Invisible Seams/Joins by Looping with Love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXLWbPHfE68&feature=youtu.be
- Finished? Move on to Lesson 6 – Gauge: http://articlesofadomesticgoddess.com/lesson-6-gauge/
- Need to take a step back? Move to : http://articlesofadomesticgoddess.com/lesson-4-the-decrease-stitches/
- Lesson 4 – The Decrease Stitches: http://articlesofadomesticgoddess.com/lesson-4-the-decrease-stitches/
Source URL: http://articlesofadomesticgoddess.com/lesson-5-the-magic-circle-working-in-the-round-and-invisible-seam/
Copyright ©2018 Articles of a Domestic Goddess unless otherwise noted.