Homeschool Education for Physical Fitness or Health
#1 - Go play outside and don't come in unless you're bleeding is physical education. Just saying - But if you need more, homeschool pe classes can sometimes be found. Also, check with our local community center, and your local fitness gym that offers classes and see if they would have an option for you. Team sports and Individual sports count as physical education.
- Easy Peasy - All in one Homeschool - 1st-8th Grade Free Health/PE class
- Easy Peasy - All in one High School - 9th-12th Grade Free Health/PE Classes - 4 courses.
- You can learn to box by Kenny Weldon
- Printables and Unit Studies
- Namaste Yoga - These can be found cheaper on Amazon. My children do these. Great for early morning to get the day started.
- Get fit cards - 2 decks of 52 cards with random fitness activities on them. Roll dice, pick the next color card. These are $1 at Dollar tree but hard to find. $11 here. My children LOVE this game.
- Apologia - Health & Nutrition ($89)
- Abeka has health courses
- Couch 2 5K app - Free app for sedentary people. Plans to get them from the couch to running a 5K in 8 weeks.
- Khan Academy has a free health course.
Good Citizenship/Character Training/Habit Training/Social Skills, Etc.
- American Heritage Girls - more biblical in nature than girl scouts
- Trail Life - Like American Heritage Girls for boys
- Boy Scouts
- Girl Scouts
- Awanas - Vests and badges and awards for learning scripture - think VBS but all year long. Usually held at church.
- Let your child earn badges at home like scouts - you set badges. Get a shirt, vest, sash, etc, to put them on and let them earn badges that YOU set forth for them.
- Character First Education has 29 character traits here. You can purchase the full curriculum, but the free option is very fulfilling! Free worksheets, stories and crafts included as well as usually 3 videos by Robert Greenlaw, usually one nature story, one poem and one song. In the videos he works through memory work. This program sticks!
- Book of Virtues by William Bennett - A read through this anthology of virtues. The book is divided into sections titled by the virtue the story included characterizes. Plutarch, Aristotle, Fables, Shakespeare, Tales, Hans Christian Andersen, etc. Full or excerpts from great stories through history that teach a moral compass to the reader.
- Laying down the rails
- Everyday Speech
- Emily Post Manners and Etiquette Books
- Model Me Kids
- Teach Town
- Second Step - Social-emotional learning system
- Books on social skills
- Diary of a Social Detective
- Music Theory - free resource
- Let's Play Music - piano music theory for littles - purchase student materials or join a group near you for a fee, etc.
- Hoffman Piano - Free Piano Lessons from knowing nothing to advanced. Pay extra for worksheets, but they are not required. Find them on youtube.
- Sing Solfa - Free Singing lessons at home. Learn basics of vocals and using solfa. Solfege is a system used to read music. It builds into something big.
- Children of the open air on youtube - The Sing Solfa link above actually uses children of the open air videos for some of their lessons. If you are more of a turn on a 3 minute youtube video kind of person, this is probably for you.
- Story of the Orchestra - a great book to sift slowly through in a year. Pick one section a week. Teaches the history of the orchestra, major key historical figures so there is some composer study in there, and then the parts of an orchestra and individual instruments. Comes with a CD so you can hear the music that you are learning about. Could break this into 20-30 weeks easily.
- MuseScore app - Free - Create, Play and Print music
- Khan Academy has multiple courses on reading music, instruments in the orchestra, etc. FREE
- Compilation of resources found here
- Easy Peasy - All in one Homeschool - 1st-8th Grade Free Music classes - Ancient, Early Am, Geography and Cultures and Modern
- Khan Academy has free lessons called Masterpieces old and new
- Easy Peasy - All in one High School - 9th-12th Grade Free Music Appreciation Class
- Books for Artist and Composer Study
- Linnea in Monet's Garden by Christina Bjork
- Picasso and the Girl with the Ponytail
- Katie and the Sunflowers
- The Fantastic Jungles of Henry Rousseau
- Frida by Jonah Winter
- Me, Frida by Amy Novesky
- My Name is Georgia: A Portait by Jeanette Winter
- Story of the Orchestra
- Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue
- Sebastian a Book About Bach by Jeannette Winter
- Khan Academy has free lessons on art history and art appreciation
- Easy Peasy - All in one High School - 9th-12th Grade Free Art Appreciation and Drawing Professionally Class
- Easy Peasy - All in one Homeschool - 1st-8th Grade Free Art Study - Weekly classes Ancient, Early American, Cultures and Modern
- General Language help
- Duolingo - Free app to learn just about any foreign language you can think of. Compete with friends.
- Easy Peasy - All in one High School - 9th-12th Grade Free Spanish 1, 2 & 3 Class
- Easy Peasy - All in one Homeschool - 1st-8th Grade Free 6th grade, 7th grade and Spanish 1 class
- Joy Paige has Nature Rigby Readers written in both Spanish and English. This is only one series. There are MANY and they can usually be found at the library. (This one might be worth owning though)
- Speaking Spanish with Miss Mason and Francois by Cherrydale Press - You likely need the teaching guide found here as well. Expect to spend $75 or so to implement properly.
- Flip Flop Spanish - $15 workbook and cd set. Works great to pop in cd in the car. Easy to follow along.
- See it and Say It (SiSi) by Flip Flop Spanish - $135 for kit - reusable year after year.
- En Espanol 1 - FREE - online - be careful. Google Chrome pops up and asks me if I want to translate the page. Although, google translate could be useful in printing it in both English and Spanish for printing for use in workbook form.
- Sign Language
- Lifeprint seems to be a very complete program, but I find it goes quite fast for little learners - or even myself. Included on the page is 4 years of lessons for free. They also have a youtube channel.
- I have had a lot of success with Signed with Heart on Youtube. Her videos seem to share relevant signs that you would actually use if you only knew a bit of sign and needed to communicate. My children and I can communicate across the room because of these videos.
- Other Languages
- Speaking German with Miss Mason and Francois by Cherrydale Press - You likely need the teaching guide found here as well. Expect to spend $75 or so to implement properly.
- Speaking French with Miss Mason and Francois by Cherrydale Press - You likely need the teaching guide found here as well. Expect to spend $75 or so to implement properly.
- Classical Conversations Foundations Cycles have memory work for Latin and the subsequent levels have workbooks. Search for latin in the top right corner. Article: Why Latin?
- Pam Barnhill - How do I teach Latin when I don't know it
- ilini - Learn through immersion french. This pairs nicely with Duolingo.
Archived Spanish Readers for Children
- A First Spanish Reader by Alfred Remy and Erwin W Roessler
- Spanish Tales for Beginners by Louise Reinhardt and EC Hills
- An Elementary Spanish Reader by Earl Stanley Harrison
- A Spanish Reader by John M Pitarro
- The Spanish American Reader by Ernesto Nelson
- Elementary Spanish-American Reader by Eduardo Berge-Soler and Joel Hathaway
- An Elementary Spanish Reader by M Montrose Ramsey
- An Elementary Spanish Reader by LA Louiseaux
- Easy Spanish Reader by Eduardo Berge-Soler and Joel Hathaway
Archived French Readers for Children
- Preparatory French Reader OB Super
- French Reader N Scarlyn Wilson
- Elementary French Reader by Louis A Roux
- The Classic French Reader for Advanced Children By Alain de Fivas
- French Historical Reader by HN Adair
- The Analytical French Reader by Jean Gustave Keetels
- Beginner's French Reader by L Pylodet
- Beginners French Reader by Peter J Scherer
Archived German Readers for Children
- An Easy German Reader by AB Nichols
- First German Reader by Hermann D Wrage
- An Introductory German Reader by William Dwight Whitney
- A German Reader by Waterman T. Hewett
Economics for High Schoolers
- Khan Academy has multiple courses on economics, finance, etc.